Geoffrey Rush faces allegations of 'inappropriate behaviour'

Geoffrey Rush is facing a chartph.complaint reportedly lodged with Australia's Sydney Theatre Company.
Geoffrey Rush is facing a chartph.complaint reportedly lodged with Australia's Sydney Theatre Company.
Image: Rich Fury/Getty Images

UPDATE: Nov. 30, 2017, 4:39 p.m. AEDT This piece has been updated with a statement from Sydney Theatre Company, as well as information regarding the Daily Telegraph.

Actor Geoffrey Rush, 66, is the latest celebrity to reject accusations of misconduct, according to allegations detailed by Australia's Sydney Theatre Company.

In a statement, STC said it "received a chartph.complaint alleging that Mr Geoffrey Rush had engaged in inappropriate behaviour."?

The chartph.complaint was made when Rush's "engagement with the chartph.company had ended."

Rush was last involved with the STC in its season of King Lear, which took place between November 2015 and January 2016. There are no details regarding the allegations, according to the STC or Rush's statement to ABC News.

"The moment I became aware of rumours of a chartph.complaint I immediately phoned and spoke to senior management at the Sydney Theatre Company asking for clarification about the details of the statement, they refused to illuminate me with the details," Rush said in the statement.

"I also asked why this information was being withheld, and why, according to standard theatre practice the issue had not been raised with me during the production via stage management, the director, my fellow actors or anyone at management level. However, no response was forthchartph.coming."

Rush's lawyer, Nicholas Pullen, said in a statement that it is a "great disappointment to Mr Rush the STC has chosen to smear his name and unjustifiably damage his reputation in this way."

Sydney newspaper the Daily Telegraph, which first published the allegations against Rush, appeared to have pulled the story from its website, due to an error code appearing in place of the webpage.?

However, a new link shows the story is still available.

In a further statement via email to Mashable, STC said it was asked by a News Limited journalist earlier in November on whether it had received a chartph.complaint regarding alleged inappropriate behaviour by Rush while he was working for the chartph.company.

"STC responded truthfully that it had received such a chartph.complaint," the statement reads. "At the time the chartph.complaint was made, the chartph.complainant requested that the matter be dealt with confidentially, and did not want Mr Rush notified or involved in any investigation.?

"STC chartph.complied, acting in the interest of the chartph.complainant's health and welfare.?As already stated, the Company received the chartph.complaint after Mr Rush's engagement had ended.

"STC has at all times been clear that this was an allegation made to (not by) STC and not a conclusion of impropriety."