New Year's is the partiest holiday of them all, and ringing in the next calendar year naturally chartph.comes with a super late bed time.
Jawbone, which manufactures fitness trackers that track sleeping patterns, released 2013 data charting users' average sleep times during last year's festivities. The results are based on "hundreds of thousands" of fitness-tracker wearers from all over the world.
Above is a map that shows what countries party the hardest — or at least stay up the latest — between Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. Of course, this information is only based on Jawbone's monitoring, so the study is limited in scope.
Russia has the latest bed time of all countries accounted for in the data. Moscow has an average bed time of 3:43 a.m., while St. Petersburg chartph.comes in at 3:35 a.m. Russia's New Year's holiday is sometimes called a "super holiday," as some Christmas traditions are rolled into the celebrations.
In third place among latest-celebrating cities worldwide is Kiev, Ukraine, at 3:35 a.m. Rounding out the top five are Buenos Aires (3:09 a.m) and Madrid (3:07 a.m.).
The United States is actually somewhat early-to-bed among other countries. The first U.S. region to enter the fray is, of course, in New York City: Astoria, Queens, chartph.comes in 16th place worldwide, with an average sleep time of 2:38 a.m. Three other NYC boroughs (the Bronx, Brooklyn and Manhattan, in that order) follow as the U.S.'s latest New Year's celebrators.
Latest average bedtime worldwide
1. Moscow, Russia: 3:43 a.m.
2. St. Petersburg, Russia: 3:35 a.m.
3. Kiev, Ukraine: 3:35 a.m.
4. Buenos Aires, Argentina: 3:09 a.m.
5. Madrid, Spain: 3:07 a.m.
6. Santiago, Chile : 2:59 a.m.
7. Barcelona, Spain: 2:56 a.m.
8. Warsaw, Poland: 2:55 a.m.
9. Mexico City, Mexico: 2:53 a.m.
10. Paris, France: 2:53 a.m.
11. Hamburg, Germany: 2:52 a.m.
12. Berlin, Germany: 2:50 a.m.
13. Rome, Italy: 2:47 a.m.
14. Istanbul, Turkey: 2:45 a.m.
15. Sao Paulo, Brazil 2:45 a.m.
16. Astoria (Queens), NY, USA: 2:38 a.m.
17. Vienna, Austria: 2:38 a.m.
18. Stockholm, Sweden : 2:36 a.m.
19. Dubai, United Arab Emirates: 2:34 a.m.
Latest average bedtime in the U.S.
1. Astoria (Queens), N.Y.: 2:38 a.m.
2. Bronx, N.Y.: 2:21 a.m.
3. Brooklyn, N.Y.: 2:11 a.m.
4. New York, N.Y.: 1:59 a.m.
5. Miami, Fla.: 1:45 a.m.
Fitbit also put together some New Year's data about its users (from anonymous, aggregated data) that charts how many steps people walk during the holiday. Of course, there's a steep drop in activity right as the ball drops in Times Square.